Did Russell coin the breakdown of the word atonement into At-one-ment? Hardly, the Christian Scientists and the Masons were using such phraseology before Russell. Russell used it as the title of an approx. 500 page book he put out in 1899. An example of the Masonic use of the term is an article in the Mar. 1923 New Age Magazine entitled "TOWARD AT-ONE-MENT".12
1. Mackey, Albert G. Encyclopaedia of Freemasonry, Vol. I, 1871 ed., p.363 ff
2. Butler, G.M. Ritual Magic. New York: The Noonday Press, 1949, p.307.
3. Author's personal collection
5. Bataille (Carl Hackse). Le Diable au XIXe Siecle, Vol. I, p.29.
6. Denslow, 10,000 Famous Freemasons, p.255
7. Margiotta, Domenico, 33 degree. Le Culte de la Nature dans la Franc-Maconnerie Universelle. (18??), p.227
12. Milburn, H.A. art. "TOWARD AT-ONE-MENT", New Age Magazine, Mar. 1923, p. 147.
Was this article helpful?