The Bible speaks of the Kingdom of God coming in two phases. The first phase is the Millennial Kingdom of God, which will last for one thousand years. The second phase is the Eternal Kingdom of God of the New Heaven and the New Earth, which comes after the Great White Throne Judgement and after Jesus has reconciled all things to God the Father.
The Kingdom of God has not yet come. The Millennial Kingdom will be established on this earth at the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. There are a number of prophesied significant events that will happen before both phases of the Kingdom of God are established on this earth. We give below an overview of these prophesied events, in their chronological order.
1. The full gospel of the Kingdom of God will be preached in all the world before the end of this age, before the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 24:14) The full gospel is about the Reconciliation of ALL things, and God being the Saviour of ALL people. This is the gospel, which is yet to be preached in all the world, as a witness to all nations before Jesus Christ returns. Full details are given in Chapter 8 'The Gospel of the Kingdom of God and His Righteousness'.
2. The Great Tribulation of three and a half years duration will be a time of God's judgement on the whole world prior to the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. The earth will be plunged into great distress and supernatural cataclysmic events will occur, as prophesied in both the Old and New Testaments. This Great Tribulation will be absolutely horrific and unprecedented. (Matthew 24:21)
3. Satan will be bound by an angel and put in prison at the return of Jesus Christ. This will prevent Satan from deceiving the nations during the thousand-year Millennial Kingdom of God. (Revelation 20:1-3)
4. The Second Coming of Jesus Christ to this earth is a glorious future event prophesied in many scriptures in the Bible. The Bible is clear that Jesus will return to this earth in the same way as He left, coming back in the clouds from the sky (heaven) and descending to land on the Mount of Olives. (Acts 1:11, Matthew 24:30, Zechariah 14:4) Full details are given in Chapter 10 'The Second Coming of Jesus Christ'.
5. The First Resurrection, described in the Bible as a better resurrection, occurs when all true believers will rise to meet the returning Jesus Christ in the air. This is a special salvation for those who believe in Christ before His Second Coming. They are God's Elect called the Bride of Christ and they are also referred to as the Firstfruits. (1 Timothy 4:10)
6. The Millennial Kingdom of God will be a glorious thousand-year age when Jesus Christ will rule and reign with His Bride on earth. Jesus will sit on the throne of David in Jerusalem. Christ and His Bride will rule over the mortal fleshly people of Israel and the Gentile nations, who will survive the Great Tribulation, and their descendants who will be born during the Millennial Age. The Millennial Kingdom will be a time of great blessing for all nations, and the whole earth will become like the Garden of Eden and full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea. Full details are given in Chapter 11 'The Millennial Kingdom of God'.
7. The Second Resurrection will take place at the end of Christ's glorious thousand-year Millennial Kingdom. This is when the rest of the dead will be resurrected. The Second Resurrection is for the multiple billions of unbelievers who were not included in the First Resurrection. All unbelievers will be resurrected in their new immortal yet still unsaved bodies. The Second Resurrection will also include all people who became believers during Christ's Millennial Kingdom, whose names are written in the Book of Life, and these believers will be resurrected in their new immortal saved bodies.
8. Satan will be released from prison at the same time as the Second Resurrection, at the end of the thousand-year Millennial Kingdom. He will then go out to deceive the nations of multiple billions of resurrected unbelievers and lead a rebellion against the Lord and God's resurrected saints. (Revelation 20:7-10) This rebellion will be easily crushed by the devouring fire of God coming out of heaven and Satan will be cast into the Lake of Fire to be judged for an age and an age.
9. The Great White Throne Judgement takes place at the Second Resurrection. God will judge resurrected unbelievers and He will cast them into the Lake of Fire, where they will experience the Second Death. However, resurrected believers whose names are written in the Book of Life will join the Bride of Christ, referred to as the Holy City, New Jerusalem located above the earth's surface. In the Great White Throne Judgement Age, the earth's surface will be a ball of fire. This Lake of Fire represents both God's physical and spiritual cleansing. God's Consuming Fire will cleanse the earth physically by melting the elements and spiritually by consuming wickedness and unbelief from the hearts of the resurrected unbelievers. Full details are given in Chapter 12 'The Great White Throne Judgement'.
Was this article helpful?