3. Talk to wise people, but do not regard their decision as final.
4. Beware of the bias of your own will, but do not be too much afraid of it (God never unnecessarily thwarts a man?s nature and liking and it is a mistake to think that his will is always in the line of the disagreeable).
5. Meantime, do the next thing (for doing God?s will in small things is the best preparation for knowing it in great things).
6. When decision and action are necessary, go ahead.
7. Never reconsider the decision when it is finally acted on and
8. You will probably not find out until afterwards, perhaps long afterwards, that you have been led at all.?
Amiel lamented that everything was left to his own responsibility and declared: ?It is this thought that disgusts me with the government of my own life. To win true peace, a man needs to feel himself directed, pardoned and sustained by a supreme Power, to feel himself in the right road, at the point where God would have him be ? in harmony with God and the universe. This faith gives strength and calm. I have not got it. All that is seems to me arbitrary and fortuitous.? How much better is Wordsworth?s faith, Excursion, book 4:58 ? ?One adequate support For the calamities of mortal life Exists, one only: an assured belief That the procession of our fate, however Sad or disturbed, is ordered by a Being Of infinite benevolence and power, Whose everlasting purposes embrace All accidents, converting them to good.? Mrs. Browning, De Profundis, stanza xxiii ? ?I praise thee while my days go on; I love thee while my days go on! Through dark and dearth, through fire and frost, With emptied arms and treasure lost, I thank thee while my days go on !?
(a) Here we must distinguish between the natural agency and the moral agency of God, or between acts of permissive providence and acts of efficient causation. We are ever to remember that God neither works evil nor causes his creatures to work evil. All sin is chargeable to the self-will and perversity of the creature; to declare God the author of it is the greatest of blasphemies.
Was this article helpful?