of God in the soul but it is always accompanied by an awakening of the soul to perceive the truth and to accept Christ.
Are baptized infants members of the Presbyterian Church? We answer by citing the following standards:
1. The Confession of Faith, 25:2 ? ?The visible church... consists of all those throughout the world, that profess the true religion, together with their children.?
2. The Larger Catechism, 62 ? ?The visible church is a society made up of all such as in all ages and places of the world do profess the true religion, and of their children.? 166 ? ?Baptism is not to be administered to any that are not of the visible church...till they profess their faith in Christ and obedience to him but Infants descending from parents either both or but one of them professing faith in Christ and obedience to him are in that respect within the covenant and are to be baptized.?
3. The Shorter Catechism, 96 ? ?Baptism is not to be administered to any that are out of the visible church, till they profess their faith in Christ and obedience to him but the infants of such as are members of the visible church are to be baptized.?
4. Form of Government, 3 ? ?A particular church consists of a number of professing Christians, with their offspring.?
5. Directory for Worship, 1 ? ?Children born within the pale of the visible church and dedicated to God in baptism are under the inspection and government of the church. When they come to years of discretion, if they be free from scandal, appear sober and steady, and to have sufficient knowledge to discern the Lord?s body, they ought to be informed it is their duty and their privilege to come to the Lord?s Supper.?
The Maplewood Congregational Church of Maiden, Mass., enrolls as members as children baptized by the church. The relation continues until they indicate a desire either to continue it or to dissolve it. The list of such members is kept distinct from that of the adults but they are considered as members under the care of the church.
Dr. W. G. 2 Shedd: ?The infant of a believer is born into the church as the infant of a citizen is born into the State. A baptized child in adult years may renounce his baptism, become an infidel and join the synagogue of Satan, but until he does this, he must be regarded as a member of the church of Christ.?
Was this article helpful?