rising of may in Israel? = for the falling of some and for the rising up of others.)
Jesus? own thanksgiving in <401125>Matthew 11:25, 26 ? ?I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou didst hide these things from the wise and understanding, and didst reveal them unto babes: yea, Father, for so it was well-pleasing in thy sight? ? is immediately followed by his invitation in verse 28 ? ?Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.? There is no contradiction in his mind between sovereign grace and the free invitations of the gospel.
? 1. God will save every one that he can of the human race and remain God.
2. Every member of the race has a full and fair probation, so that all might be saved and would be saved were they to use aright the light which they already have.?...(Private letter): ?Limitations of God in the bestowment of salvation:
1. In the power of God in relation to free will.
2. In the benevolence of God which requires the greatest good of creation, or the greatest aggregate good of the greatest number.
3. In the purpose of God to make the most perfect self-limitation.
4. In the sovereignty of God, as a prerogative absolutely optional in its exercise.
5. In the holiness of God, which involves immutable limitations on his part in dealing with moral agents. Nothing but some absolute impossibility, metaphysical or moral, could have prevented him ?whose nature and whose name is love? from decreeing and securing the confirmation of all moral agents in holiness and blessedness forever.?
(g) The decree of election implies a decree of reprobation. Answer: The decree of reprobation is not a positive decree like that of election but a permissive decree to leave the sinner to his self-chosen rebellion and its natural consequences of punishment.
Election and sovereignty are only sources of good. Election is not a decree to destroy; it is a decree only to save. When we elect a President we do not need to hold a second election to determine that the
Was this article helpful?