(2) Credible evidence of regeneration and conversion as prerequisite to church membership.
(3) Immersion only, as answering to Christ?s command of baptism and to the symbolic meaning of the ordinance.
(4) The order of the ordinances, Baptism, and the Lord?s Supper, as of divine appointment as well as the ordinances themselves.
(5) The right of each member of the church to a voice in its government and discipline.
(6) Each church, while holding fellowship with other churches, solely responsible to Christ.
(7) The freedom of the individual conscience and the total independence of church and state.
Hovey in his Restatement of Denominational Principles (Am. Bap. Pub. Society) gives these principles as follows:
1. The supreme authority of the Scriptures in matters of religion.
2. Personal accountability to God in religion.
3. Union with Christ essential to salvation.
5. The new life, one of unqualified obedience to Christ. The most concise statement of Baptist doctrine and history is that of Vedder, in Jackson?s Dictionary of Religious Knowledge. 1:74-85.
With the lax views of Scripture, which are becoming common among us there is a tendency in our day to lose sight of the transcendent element in the church. Let us remember that the church is not a humanitarian organization resting upon common human brotherhood but a supernatural body, which traces its descent from the second, not the first, Adam and which manifests the power of the divine Christ. Mazzini in Italy claimed Jesus but repudiated his church. So modern socialists cry: ?Liberty, Equality, Fraternity,? and deny that there is need of anything more than human unity, development, and culture. But God has made the church to sit with Christ ?in the heavenly places? ( <490206>Ephesians
2:6). It is the regeneration, which comes about through union with Christ, which constitutes the primary and most essential element in ecclesiology. ?We do not stand, first of all, for restricted communion nor for immersion as
<- Previous Table of Contents Next ->
Was this article helpful?