and in it would be found yet more unexpected fruit from seed planted in North American colonial Christian experience.
1. What colonists called the French and Indian War began in 1754, two years before the fighting in Europe's Seven Years' War.
2. Samuel Davies, 'God the sovereign of all nations', in S. Davies, Sermons on important subjects, 4th edn, 3 vols. (New York: J. and J. Harper, 1828), vol. 3, p. 173.
3. J. Butler, 'Protestant pluralism', Encyclopedia of the North American colonies, ed. Jacob Ernest Cooke, 3 vols. (New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1993), vol. 3, p. 609.
4. R. Williams, The complete writings of Roger Williams, 7 vols. (New York: Russell & Russell, 1963), vol. 3, pp. 3-4.
5. William Bradford, Of Plymouth Plantation, ed. S. E. Morison (New York: Knopf, 1959), pp. 61, 62-3.
6. EdmundS. Morgan (ed.), Puritanpoliticalideas (Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill, 1965), pp. 90, 93.
7. On the translation, John Webster Grant, Moon of wintertime: Missionaries and the Indians of Canada in encounter since 1534 (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1984), p. vii.
8. In Rachel Wheeler, 'Women and Christian practice in a Mahican Village', Religion and American culture, 13 (Winter 2003), p. 36.
9. Patricia U. Bonomi and Peter R. Eisenstadt, 'Church adherence in the eighteenth-century British American colonies', William and Mary quarterly, 39 (1982), p. 273. The number of churches is from Edwin S. Gaustad and Philip L. Barlow, New historical atlas ofreligion in America (New York: Oxford University Press, 2000).
10. Thomas S. Kidd, '"Let hell and Rome do their worst": world news and anti-Catholicism, and international Protestantism in early-eighteenth-century Boston', New England quarterly, 86 (2003), p. 270.
11. J. Edwards, 'Letter of May 30, 1735', in The works of Jonathan Edwards, vol. 4: The Great Awakening, ed. C. C. Goen (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1972), p. 101.
12. Samuel Hopkins, The life and character of Miss Susanna Anthony (Hartford, CT: Hudson and Goodwin, 1799), pp. 30-1.
13. E. E. Burr, The journal of Esther Edwards Burr, 1754-1757, ed. Carol F. Karlsen and Laurie Crumpacker (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1984), p. 257.
14. P. Wheatley, The poems ofPhillis Wheatley, ed. Julian D. Mason, Jr. (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1966), p. 68.
Was this article helpful?