Psalm 110: (A Psalm of David)
1. The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.
2. The LORD shall send the rod of thy strength out of Zion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies.
3. Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power, in the beauties of holiness from the womb of the morning: thou hast the dew of thy youth.
4. The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.
5. The Lord at thy right hand shall strike through kings in the day of his wrath.
6. He shall judge among the heathen, he shall fill the places with the dead bodies; he shall wound the heads over many countries.
7. He shall drink of the brook in the way: therefore shall he lift up the head. My brief commentary on Ps. 110 is as follows:
• Verse one depicts Jesus seated at the right hand of the father till his enemies are dealt with.
• Verse two mentions "the rod of thy strength." This is naturally the Scepter of the King. Since it is sent forth out of Zion [the Church], it means the Kingdom is at this point established in the Church. In other words, this is the beginning of the Kingdom of God. And at this time He, Jesus, rules in the Church, in the midst of the enemies that are still in the world.
• Verse three says that the people shall be willing. That is, they will be obedient to their King, Jesus, once the day of power comes. That is when the Kingdom of God comes to the Church.
• Verses five and six show events that happen on the day of wrath. This is the day of Jesus' actual return. So the Kingdom comes to the Church, and the day of power [the Millennium] begins before His actual return.
The Day of Power is mentioned again in Revelation:
And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night. (Rev. 12:10)
Here, we have another verse that speaks of both beginnings of the Kingdom and the day of power before Jesus' return. The Day of the Lord Examples
Early on in the Book of Revelation we read:
Revelation 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day, and I heard behind me a great voice as of a trumpet, The writer is saying He was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day. This can have several interpretations, all correct.
1. Being in the Spirit can mean a trance like state in which the prophet gets his revelations, this being on the day of the week known as the Lord's Day.
2. It can mean being led of the spirit as opposed to led by the flesh. In this case the prophet is a type of the church which will be led by the Spirit and dead to the flesh in the Day of the Lord
3. It can mean being in a Spiritual state to receive visions, and while in that state to be on or living during the Day of the Lord. In this case you can say that everything depicted in the Book of Revelation takes place on the Day of the Lord. Most of this happens before the Second Coming which isn't till chapter 19!
Now there is a problem with using examples that mention The Day Of The Lord, multiple meanings again. The Day of the Lord can mean:
1. The entire seventh millennium, or
2. The portion of that millennium leading up to and including the Second Coming, or
3. The severe judgments during the portion leading up to and including the Second Coming, or
4. The days of the final judgments leading up to and including the Second Coming, or
5. The actual day(s) of the Second Coming
In the Book of Revelation, the time covered fits definition 2. Here in Acts 2 it seems to be definition 5.
Acts 2:20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood before that great and notable Day of the
Here is a selection of scriptures on The Day Of The Lord, most fitting definitions 3, 4, or 5.
2 Peter 3:10 But the Day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat. The earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
Isaiah 2:12 For the day of the LORD of hosts shall be upon every one that is proud and lofty, and upon every one that is lifted up" and he shall be brought low"
Isaiah 13:6 H Howl ye, for the day of the LORD is at hand! It shall come as a destruction from the Almighty.
Isaiah 34:8 For it is the day of the LORD's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion.
Isaiah 63:4 For the day of vengeance is in Mine heart, and the year of My redeemed is come.
Jeremiah 46:10 For this is the day of the Lord GOD of hosts, a day of vengeance, that He may avenge Him of His adversaries. And the sword shall devour, and it shall be sated and made drunk with their blood; for the Lord GOD of hosts hath a sacrifice in the north country by the River Euphrates.
Joel 3:14 Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision; for the day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision.
Amos 8:9 And it shall come to pass in that day," saith the Lord GOD, "that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day.
Zephaniah 2:2 before the decree bring forth, before the day pass as the chaff, before the fierce anger of the LORD come upon you, before the day of the LORD'S anger come upon you!
Malachi 4:5 "Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD. What exactly happens on the 7th day before the Second Coming?
The beginnings of the kingdom The preaching of repentance A series of judgments on the church and the world Beginning of persecution of the church as part of the judgments Redemption of the church while judgments increase on the world Full establishment of the Kingdom of God in His Church Great end time harvest while judgments increase on the world Final persecution of the church
Still further judgments on the world leading to the Second Coming.
In my article, End Time Outline, I have broken these into 5 phases. These are considered from the viewpoint of what happens to the church. Kingdom, Judgment, Redemption, Harvest, and the Finale. All of this is part of the prophesied Millennium, The Day of the Lord.
This is the Day the Lord has made, we will be glad and rejoice in it!
Was this article helpful?
Finally, The Ultimate Guide To Changing Your Life Forever... Get Your Hands On The Ultimate Guide For Live Improvement Through The Art Of Positive Thinking And Let It's Magic Change Your Life Forever! Discover How Ordinary People Can Live Extraordinary Lives Through The Power Of Positive Thinking